111 Monument Circle, Suite 3700
Indianapolis, IN 46204 USA
Charles P. Schmal
Chuck chairs the firm's Patent Prosecution Group. He currently serves as an adjunct professor at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in Indianapolis and teaches the school's International Intellectual Property Law class. He has over a decade of experience helping businesses develop, protect, and manage their intellectual property both domestically and abroad. Chuck was recognized as an IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property magazine in 2013 and 2014.
Chuck is especially active in Indiana's start up and entrepreneurship community. He currently chairs the Entrepreneurship Board for Ball State University's nationally renowned Entrepreneurship Center. He has been a guest speaker on intellectual property matters for entrepreneurship programs at Ball State University and Purdue University as well as at other schools.
Having years of prior industrial experience has helped him better appreciate his clients' needs. Prior to joining the firm, Chuck worked as an engineer as well as in numerous other positions in the television industry for Thomson Consumer Electronics and was selected for Thomson's Technical Leadership Program (TTLP).
Chuck is also actively involved in his community and has taken leadership roles in numerous organizations. He has helped co-lead the development of a new section for the Indianapolis Bar Association.
- Purdue University
B.S., Industrial Engineering, 1992
- George Mason University School of Law
J.D., cum laude, in Intellectual Property Law Track Program, 1999
- U.S. Patent Bar, 1999
- Virginia (Associate Status), 2000
- Indiana, 2000
Chuck appreciates that a client's intellectual property portfolio must complement the client's overall business strategy and recognizes that intellectual property rarely has value unless a business makes money from what it protects. From his prior work experience as an engineer, Chuck understands the need to provide clients with consistent, predictable estimates for projects, and more importantly, meeting clients' deadlines and budgetary needs.
Chuck has a wealth of knowledge and experience in handling the intricacies of domestic as well as international patent protection and is the firm's resident expert for patent office procedures and practices. Chuck counsels clients on identifying, protecting, licensing, and reviewing the value of their technologies. He has helped his clients obtain patent protection for their inventions in a wide range of technologies including the diagnostic, electronic, computer/software, automotive, material handling, and medical device fields.
Indiana State Bar Association
- Chair of Casemaker Improvement Committee
- Vice Chair of Intellectual Property Law Section 2013
- Past Chair of the Technology Committee 2009-2010
- Member of Military & Veterans’ Affairs Committee
- Member of Leadership Development Academy Committee
- Member of Leadership Development Academy Class 1
- Member of Intellectual Property Section's Executive Committee
Indianapolis Bar Association
- Chair of Professionalism Committee
- Past Chair Indy Attorneys Network Section, 2012-2013
- Member of Bar Leader Series Committee
- Member of Indianapolis Bar Leader Series 2009-2010 Class VII
"Protecting Intellectual Property: Employment Agreements Are Important To Secure Assets," Indiana Business Magazine, July 2008
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
Adjunct Professor, International Intellectual Property class, Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, 2009-present
Presenter, Indiana State Bar Association's "Count Me In: What Motivates Trademark & Patent Examiners to Allow Your Case" Program, Spring 2014
Presenter, Indiana State Bar Association's "Transitioning to the AIA" Program, spring 2013
Guest speaker on Intellectual Property, Purdue University Entrepreneurship Program, 2011-present
Panelist, 2012 meeting of the Indianapolis Chapter of the International Game Developers Association (IGDA)
Faculty member, 2009 IP Midwest Intellectual Property Symposium, presentation on “Current Topics Concerning Corporate Ownership and Licensing of Intellectual Property"
Presenter, Indianapolis Bar Association's Continuing Legal Education, 2008 & 2009 Year in Review Patent Law and Practice Programs, spring 2009-2010
Guest speaker on Intellectual Property, Ball State University, Management 341 Introduction to Entrepreneurship, spring 2009
Guest speaker on Intellectual Property Protection for Drugs, Biologics and Medical Devices in the U.S. and European Union for the Jean Monnet Module of Comparative EU and U.S. Science, Law and Policy in the Regulation of Pharmaceuticals and Medical Technology, Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, summer 2008
Ball State Entrepreneurship Center
- Chair of Entrepreneurship Board
- Business Plan Judge for 2010 Enterprise Eight Business Plan Tournament
- Business Plan Judge for 2009 Nascent 500 Business Plan Challenge
Purdue Club of Boone County
- President, 2014-present
- Treasurer, 2012-2013
Rotary Club of Indianapolis
- Member of Business Networking Committee
- Vice-chair of event logistics for the Elegant Vintages Wine Auction, 2004-2009
Friends of Boone County Trails
- Founding member and former secretary, 2004-2009
- IP Star, Managing Intellectual Property, 2013 and 2014
- Recipient of the 2012 President’s Award for Service to the Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana Bar Foundation Life Fellow
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation Distinguished Fellow
- Recipient of Ball State Entrepreneurship Center's 2012 Outstanding Service Award